In December 2017 the Government released the Careers strategy: making the most of everyone’s skills and talents. ‘This careers strategy is part of our plan to make Britain fairer, improve social mobility and offer opportunity to everyone’. The aims are for:
- all young people to understand the full range of opportunities available to them, to learn from employers about work and the skills that are valued in the workplace and to have first-hand experience of the workplace;
- all young people in secondary school and college to get an excellent programme of advice and guidance that is delivered by individuals with the right skills and experience;
- everyone to get support tailored to their circumstances. All adults should be able to access free face-to-face advice, with more bespoke support for those who most need it;
- everyone to get the information they need to understand the job and career opportunities available, and how their knowledge and skills can help them in considering suitable career
Dynamo Healthcare Training Academy (DHCTA) has worked with many schools this year including; Redruth School, Pool Academy, Camborne Science and International Academy, Penair School, Penryn School, Richard Lander School, Newquay Tretherras School, Helston Community College, Humphrey Davey School, Mounts Bay Academy, Penwith Alternative Provision Academy and later this year Five Islands School, Isle of Scilly. The support included:
- career planning workshops
- careers events,
- mock interviews,
- student talks,
- practical workshops in the simulation centre for example, basic first aid, manual handling, infection, prevention control sessions.
- meet and greet apprentices and employer opportunities.
Schools also engaged with our Annual Health Promotion event linking young people with the many health promotion services in Cornwall, this continues to be huge success.
Inspirational workshops – Future Steps – Peer Mentoring Support for Disengaged Young People
- Building resilience
- Stress Management
- Human Body (Anatomy)
- Money Skills
- Benefits of exercise
- Cultural Skills
Work Experience Opportunities
DHCTA offer work experience placements for students which will include job shadowing in:
- Office environment
- Class room experience
- Time spent shadowing tutors as they meet their apprentices in:
- Social Care services
- General Practices including, medical reception, administration and clinical healthcare
Dynamo Healthcare Cadets update
This year’s cadets have worked really hard to complete their course work and all are on target to achieve their programme. All have career plans in place, with many aiming to progress onto apprenticeships in social care or medical reception, except 2 students who have interviews with Royal Cornwall Hospital for HCA positions.
Employer engagement has included: presentations, work experience and volunteering placements, job shadowing and apprenticeship opportunities from; Mencap, Solar Care Homes, Falcare, Royal Cornwall Hospital Treliske, Mustard Seed, Age UK, Clinton Road Surgery, Downs Residential Home, Premier Healthcare, Specsavers, Stennack Surgery, Carers Break, Chaos Group.
Enrichment activities have included; Epilepsy training, Physiological measurements, Brook sexual health services, Volunteer Cornwall, Sepsis UK, Carn Brea Leisure services, Jump 4, Pentreath, Your Ways services, Career South West and Children in Need.
For information on the Cornwall’s Career Offer 2016-2020 and the Gatsby Benchmarks which are a framework of 8 guidelines about what makes the best careers provision in schools and colleges please view. Or contact us to discuss how we can support you and your students.