Developing Cornwall’s Healthcare Workforce for the Future
- From 1 August 2020 – 31 Jan 2021, Businesses will be given £2,000 for each new apprentice they hire under the age of 25, and £1500 for every new Apprentice over the age of 25.
- If your business has more than 50 employees, then you pay just 5% of the apprenticeship training costs, with the government funding the remaining 95% of the training costs.
- Additional payments of up to £1,000 will be made to all employers, regardless of size, taking on an apprentice aged 16-18 or 19-24 if they have an Education, Health and Care plan. The first payment of £500 is made once the apprentice has been on programme for 90 days, and the remaining £500 is paid once the apprentice has completed their first year. In some cases this will be in addition to the additional £2000 grant.
- Employers of apprentices under the age of 25 do not pay National Insurance employer contributions for their apprentices.
|Sector||Apprenticeship standard||Level||Funding band maximum||Non-levy Employer Contribution (5% of total training costs)||Levy Employer Contribution (90% of total training costs)|
|Adult care||Adult Care Worker||2||£3,000||£150||£2,700|
|Adult care||Lead Adult Care Worker||3||£3,000||£150||£2,700|
|Adult care||Leader in Adult Care||5||£7,000||£350||£6,300|
|Customer service||Customer Service Practitioner||2||£3,500||£175||£3,150|
|Customer service||Customer Service Specialist||3||£4,000||£200||£3,600|
|Leadership & Management||Team Leader/Supervisor||3||£5,000||£250||£4,500|
|Leadership & Management||Operations / Departmental Manager||5||£7,000||£350||£6,300|
|Healthcare||Healthcare Support Worker||2||£3,000||£150||£2,700|
|Healthcare||Senior Healthcare Support Worker||3||£5,000||£250||£4,500|
|Education and Learning||Teaching assistant||3||£5,000||£250||£4,500|
|Education and Learning||Learning Mentor||3||£5,000||£250||£4,500|
|Education and Learning||Assessor/Coach||4||£7,000||£350||£6,300|
|Education and learning||Learning and Skills Teacher||5||£10,000||£500||£9,000|
|Business Administration||Learning and Development Consultant||5||£7,000||£350||£6,300|
|Business Administration||Learning and Development Practitioner||3||£6,000||£300||£5,400|
|Business Administration||Employability Practitioner||4||£6,000||£300||£5,400|
If you’re an employer with a pay bill over £3 million a year, you must pay the apprenticeship levy from 6 April 2017 through your digital account, which is linked to your payroll system. This money must be used for your existing staff and new recruits to complete Adult Apprenticeships. Your organisation pays 90% of the full training fee and the Government pays 10%. If you run out of funds in your digital account the Government will increase payment to support continued training for your staff, as long as they are completing in work training Apprenticeships.
Non Levy Employer
As an employer who doesn’t pay the apprenticeship levy, you’ll pay 5% towards the cost of the apprenticeship. The government will pay the rest (95%) up to the funding band maximum, directly to the training provider. You may be eligible to receive full funding to cover the cost of apprenticeship training, plus additional support. Check the apprenticeship funding rules for more information.
You can access apprenticeship funding either through a training provider with an existing government contract, or by reserving funds via the apprenticeship service. The intention is that towards the end of 2020, all new apprenticeships will be arranged through the apprenticeship service.
- Employers are not required to pay National Insurance Contributions for apprentices under the age of 25 on earnings below the higher tax rate of £827 a week (£43,000 a year).
- £1,000 payment to both the employer and provider when they train a 16- to 18-year-old.
- £1,000 payment to both the employer and provider when they train a 19- to 24-year-old who has previously been in care or who has a local authority education, health and care plan.
Employer with less than 50 staff
The government will fund all of the apprenticeship training costs, up to the maximum value of the funding band for the apprenticeship, for employers employing fewer than 50 people if, the learner is aged between 16 and 18 years old or aged between 19 and 24 years old and either has an EHC plan provided by their local authority or has been in the care of their local authority.
Apprenticeship Funding bands
The Government has set funding bands for different Apprenticeship standards for different sectors. Training providers and Employers can not change these funding bands. They are set. Employers must pay towards their staff training costs.
WHAT IS THE WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT FUND?
The Workforce Development Fund (WDF) is a funding stream from the Department of Health and Social Care, distributed by Skills for Care. WDF makes a substantial contribution to the costs of care staff gaining qualifications. The fund enables care employers to have a continuing commitment to staff learning and development by enhancing their learning and development budgets.
THE WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT FUND IN CORNWALL, THE ISLES OF SCILLY AND DEVON
WDF is distributed nationally by Skills for Care and care partnerships are eligible to bid for funds for their area. CAHSC are the care partnership for Cornwall, the Isles of Scilly and Devon.
The amount of WDF Grant we have available for 2019/2020 is £220k. We do have an allocation policy for 2019/2020 which initially limits any one provider to claiming a maximum of 15% of the total grant, for 2019/20 this will be £33k. However, if we have any reserves in the third quarter of the financial year 2019/2020, we will invite those providers who have reached the 15% limit to submit and be funded for further claims. A maximum of £2,000 per learner can be claimed per financial year. Claims can be made for any certificates dated 1 January 2019 – 31 March 2020.
AM I ELIGIBLE TO CLAIM WDF FROM CAHSC?
This fund is available to all adult social care providers in Cornwall, Devon and the Isles of Scilly. You must become a WDF Partnership member and be registered and completely up to date with your submissions for the ASC-WDS (previously known as NMDS-SC). If you are registering with ASC-WDS for the first time, please note new registrations open after 12 August 2019.
Please note new memberships can only be accepted up until 28 February 2020. If you do not complete membership by this date you will not be able to claim WDF for 19/20 and will have to wait until the new funding round of 20/21 opens.
WHERE CAN I GET HELP OR ADVICE ABOUT WDF?
More information about WDF can be found on the CASC website and also on the Skills for Care website. For further advice you can contact CAHSC about any aspects of WDF, including registering and updating ASC-WDS on 01326 567163 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
At DHCT we recognise that funding can be very confusing, if you need any further information or advice please contact us now