July is UV Safety Awareness month, where we highlight the importance of protecting our skin from the sun!
The sun emits radiation known as UV-A and UV-B rays. Both types can damage your eyes and skin. They can also cause cancer, so it is so important that we all protect ourselves (even if it isn’t that sunny!) Here are five top tips for protecting yourself from the sun this summer!
- Stay in the SHADE: This means the sun isn’t directly hitting you, which will protect against sun burn.
- Clothing! If you’re going to spending a lot of time unprotected from the sun, even in the sea, wear clothing that covers your skin. This could be a beach coverup if its hot weather, or a wetsuit if you are in the sea.
- Use Sun Cream – regularly applying sun cream when you are outside can protect you against skin cancer! When purchasing sun cream, look at the UVA rating on the back of the bottle, to see how well (1-5 stars) it protects against the UV-A rays.
- Limit the amount of time in the sun between 10am and 4pm: The suns rays are the most intense between these hours, so seeking shade can protect your skin.
- Wear accessories to help! A BIG hat that shades your face is an easy way of protecting your skin and also keeping cool in the hot weather. Also sun glasses with 99%-100% UV absorption provide so much protection for your eyes and surrounding skin!
Stay protected this summer!